MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — An Alabama inmate who spent nearly 30 years on death row will go free Friday after prosecutors told a judge there is not enough evidence to link him to the 1985 murders he was convicted of committing.
Jefferson County Circuit Judge Laura Petro on Thursday dismissed the case against Anthony Ray Hinton at the request of the district attorney’s office. Prosecutors said forensic experts couldn’t determine whether six crime scene bullets — which were the crux of the evidence against Hinton — came from a gun investigators took from his home.
Hinton, now 58, was convicted of two 1985 murders that occurred during separate robberies of fast-food restaurants in Birmingham. Prosecutors linked Hinton to the killings through a .38-caliber revolver found at his house.
The U.S. Supreme Court last year sent Hinton’s case back for a new trial, which prompted a re-examination of the evidence.
View original post 524 more words